Brides: your essential checklist for planning your
wedding - and keeping stress at bay!
We’ve all seen the toll the stress of planning a wedding can take on brides and grooms.
The last thing you want is to be frazzled on the best day of your life!
So, make things easy on yourself and get organised.
Here’s our six-step process to getting through the planning without tearing your hair out.
Between 15 and 9 months before the wedding:
- Start your wedding folder. Look through magazines to get some inspiration and decide what you’d like. Decide on the theme and colours.
- Start the guest list. This will give you a good idea of who you need to invite, who’s going to the ceremony and reception, and who’s going only to the evening celebrations.
- Work out your budget. Now you have an idea of numbers, you’ll also be able to work out how much you have in the pot to spend per head.
- Reserve your venue on your wedding date. Venues book up quickly, so get moving on this one!
- Start looking for a dress. Make time for around three fittings minimum. A lot of dresses have to be altered and sent away for adjustments etc.
- Decide if you need to hire a wedding planner to help you. If you’re having a large wedding, they will be invaluable to you.
- Research photographers, florists, and caterers. Start the process of interviewing them. The best ones book up way in advance so keep that in mind. you may need to pay the deposit straight away and lots give a discount if you pay upfront.
- Who will be marrying you? It’s time to book the vicar, priest, or celebrant.
Seven to five months before
- Book the videographer to ensure they have the date open.
- Book the band or DJ – go to some gigs to check them out and get recommendations from friends and relatives.
- Meet the caterers. Taste their food and decide on the best fit for your wedding.
- If you're having relatives come to stay? Now’s the time to block book accommodation for your guests or warn them to book their own. Give them different price options in different hotels.
- Register your wedding list at the shop of your choice.
- Buy your invitations and send out notices to save the date.
- Plan your honeymoon and ensure your passports are valid and injections up to date.
- Shop for bridesmaid’s dresses and outfits for the groom, best man and ushers.
- Meet the celebrant and talk through the ceremony.
- Book the florist and wedding cars – they can be booked up well in advance.
- Draw up a timeline of your big day.
Four months before
- Send out the wedding invitations.
- Order the cake.
- Start the fittings for your dress.
- Organise hair and make-up for the big day.
- Choose your music.
- Finalise the menu with the caterer and the flowers with the florist.
- Finalise the order of the ceremony and reception.
- Buy the wedding rings.
Between one and two months before
- Meet the photographer and videographer and go through the shots and locations you’d like.
- Talk to the band or DJ about their playlist and make any requests now.
- Ensure everyone has RSVP’d their invitations and adjust the guest list if necessary. Phone those who haven’t responded.
- Ensure you have organised the marriage licence.
- Have your last dress fitting.
- Make sure you’ve confirmed the hairdresser and make-up artist, caterer, florist, photographer, and wedding cars. Make this a final check to give you some peace of mind.
- Draw up the seating plan. This can take some time!
- Write your vows.
- Dole out wedding day tasks such as looking after young flower girls and page boys and caring for wedding gifts.
- Pick up your dress.
- Have one last chat with your photographer.
- Send the final guest list to the caterer and venues.
- Pack for your honeymoon.
The big day
- The most important part of this checklist: Enjoy it! You’ve worked hard to get here.
Are you looking for a wedding photographer in South Wales?
I’ll help you take the stress out of your big day!
Call me on 07999 996473 or in the office on 02921 175 977.
Cardiff, Bristol, Newport, Vale of Glamorgan based Wedding Photography